“IS TOTAL DEPRAVITY A TOTALLY DEPRAVED DOCTRINE?”
Reader, Total Depravity (TD) is the
foundation of the doctrine for the Doctrines of Grace (DOGS). In short,
the doctrine that an unsaved man, not in Christ, is totally depraved,
therefore has no freewill to believe on Jesus Christ as his Saviour,
first Holy Ghost regenerates him, so that he may believe. This is an imparted
infusion prior to his believing on imputed righteousness.
The following is an interview with a DOGS believer.
1. “Were the Jews in the Old Testament saved according to Paul’s gospel (Romans 2:16; Romans 16:25; 2 Timothy 2:8)?
2. Were they in Christ or were they outside of Christ (1Corinthians 12:13; Romans 6:3)?
3. Were they Christians (Acts 11:26)?
4. Did they have the spiritual circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ (Colossians 2:11)?
5. Did they have eternal security (Romans 6:3-6,7-10,11)?
6. Had the blood of Christ been shed at that time, in the Old Testament, for the redemption of sins (Colossians 1:14)?
7. Did they simply have the remission of past sins (Romans 3:25) by animal blood (Hebrews 9:22), that is, with the blood of calves and goats (Hebrews 9:19)?
1. No, they were not saved according to Paul’s gospel.
2. They were outside of Christ.
3. No, they were not Christians
4. No they did not have the spiritual circumcision made without hands.
5. They did not have eternal security.
6. No, the blood of Christ had not been shed at that time.
7. Yes, they only had the blood of calves and goats for the remission of past sins.
Does this mean that the Old Testament Jew was in total depravity?
Does this mean they had no freewill?
By the Doctrines of Grace doctrine, being totally depraved, they had no freewill.
Then why would the scriptures say they did (Leviticus 22:18; Numbers 15:3; Deuteronomy 23:23; Ezra 1:4; Psalm 119:108; Ezra 7:13)? Surely this means that totally depraved people have a freewill?
DOGS Believer: Mmmmm! … I see what you mean.
Interviewer: Then surely an unsaved man does not need Holy Ghost regeneration before getting saved … as totally depraved people have a freewill?
DOGS Believer: By force of reason, you are correct (Isaiah 1:18).
Interviewer: So you would have to agree, that the doctrine of Total Depravity is a totally depraved doctrine?
DOGS Believer: Yes
Australian Bible Ministries, PO Box 5058 Mt. Gravatt East 4122 Qld, Australia