PTOLEMY, IN 150 AD, DOGMATICALLY ASSERTED THAT THERE WERE ONLY
1,056 STARS IN THE HEAVENS!
Astronomers now guess that there might be over 40, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000
(40 sextillion). The Bible says that they are without number (Genesis 15:5; 22:17) – but God knows how many there are because he made them. “And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: HE MADE THE STARS also.” (Genesis 1:16)
God also has names for everyone of them: “He telleth the number of the stars; he CALLETH THEM ALL BY THEIR NAMES. (Psalm 147:4).
Now there are about 500,000 words in the unabridged Websters dictionary. If God has every star named, then there are enough such names to fill around 80,000,000,000,000,000 (80 quadrillion) books that size. No wonder the psalmist says in the next verse “Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.” (Psalm I47:5) Some of the stars are named in Scripture: Pleiades (Job 38:31) Orion (Amos 5:8), Arcturus (Job 38:32), and Mazzaroth (Job 38:32)
themselves to be wise, they became fools...”
IS SCIENCE ACCURATE?
In 1861, the French Academy of Science published a list of 51 “scientific facts” which supposedly contradict the Bible. Today all 51 of these “facts” have been proven to be unscientific - they are unacceptable to modern scientists! Whenever the King James Bible makes a scientific statement, it has always been proven to be correct after man has discovered the evidence.
In fact, the Bible makes science obsolete - there are 5.6 kilometres of out of date science books containing useless and wrong information on the shelves in the library of the Louvre in Paris.
DO OTHER RELIGIOUS BOOKS HAVE SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE INFORMATION?
Following is a passage from the Vedas (the Hindu Scriptures of India):
“The moon is 50,000 leagues higher than the sun (?), and shines by its own light (?); night is caused by the sun’s setting behind a high mountain (?) several thousand feet high, located in the centre of the earth (?), that this world, flat (?) and triangular (?) is composed of seven states (?) - one of honey, another of sugar, a third of butter, and still another of wine,(?) and the whole mass is borne on the heads of countless elephants (?) which in shaking produce earthquakes (?).”
We can see that THERE ARE AT LEAST TEN FALSE STATEMENTS. This shows the Vedas to be very unscientific, hence disproving Eastern religions and the modern New Age thinking which is based on the Vedas. The King James Bible on the other hand has no scientific errors in its 66 books.
HOW COULD THE BIBLE HAVE KNOWLEDGE NOT YET DISCOVERED BY MAN?
The Bible contains scientific data not known by man at the time of writing and in many cases only discovered recently. How could this be?
God authored the Bible and as such, man has to accept the information contained therein as true and receive it by faith.
WHY DON’T OTHER RELIGIOUS BOOKS HAVE SCIENTIFIC DATA?
Man has authored these books and is limited by his knowledge of the universe at the time of writing. They haven’t come from the Creator of the universe and are counterfeits.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE OTHER SCIENTIFIC FACTS OF THE BIBLE NOT KNOWN TO MAN AT THE TIME OF WRITING?
1. Jewish boys are circumcised on the 8th day. (Genesis 17:10-12). Science now knows that on the 8th day, Vitamin K (a clotting substance) is at its peak in the blood stream.
2. Running water is more sanitary than still or stagnant water. (Leviticus 15:13)
3. The earth is not flat (Isaiah 40:22)
4. The ocean has currents (Psalm 8:8)
5. The moon hasn’t any light of its own (Job 25:5)
6. The earth is suspended in space (Job 26:7) “experts” used to believed that the earth sat on four elephants that stood on a giant turtle that swam in a vast ocean.
7. Clouds balance in the air (Job 37:16). Scientists now know that gravity is pulling them down while warm air pushes the clouds up.
8. The stars are high up. (Job 22:12). The nearest star (Alpha Centauri) is 40,000 billion kilometres away. If you travelled in a car at 100 km per hour, it would take you 10 million years to get there.
9. The earth is round. (Isaiah 40:22)
10. Sanitation is important. (Deuteronomy 23:12,13). Until 1800 AD, human faeces was dumped onto the streets and people died in their millions. These deaths could have been avoided if people had obeyed the Bible.
11. Fountains under the sea (Job 38:16). Science now knows that there are at least 10,000 underwater volcanoes which add 430 million tons of water to the oceans each year.
12. The water cycle (Ecclesiastes 1:7).
13. Lepers are to be quarantined (Leviticus 13:46,57)
14. Pig diseases such as pork tapeworm and the trichinosis larvae can kill people. (Leviticus 11: 7,8)
15. Everyone came from one woman (Genesis 3:20). Berkeley University has analysed DNA from all over the world, showing, that all humans on earth have inherited it from one woman.
16. Treasures in the snow (Job 38:22). Of all the countless snowflakes, no two are the same pattern.
17. The bloodstream carries life. (Leviticus 17:11).
18. There are submarine canyons under the sea (2 Samuel 22:16)
19. The star Pleiades is in a star cluster (Job 38:31)
20. There is an empty place in the north of the heavens (Job 26:7)
increases (Psalm 102: 25-27; Hebrews 1:11,12). Scientists admit
that the disorder of the universe is increasing and systems are running
high to a low state of energy. They admit that the sun will become cold
(as all the stars).
Jesus Christ will return to remake the universe to a perfect state at the end of his Millennial Kingdom.
22. Whales swallow men (Jonah 1:17). A man survived two days in a whale in 1891.
23. Light travels (Job 38:19)
24. The 1st Law of Thermodynamics states that no new matter or energy is being created in the known universe. Genesis 2:2 states that “...on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made...”
25. The winds have weight and therefore pressure (Job 28:25).
26. The winds blow in circuits (Ecclesiastes 1:6)
27. Light can be separated into the 7 colours of the spectrum (Job 38:24)
28. On the earth at any one point in time is darkness and light. (Luke 17:31-36)
29. There are laws of physics. God asks Job: “Knowest thou the ordinances (laws) of heaven?”(Job 38:33). Ordinances are the physical laws that govern the movement of heavenly bodies, stars, planets, comets, meteors etc. Some examples are: Kepler’s laws of equal orbits, solar physics, Newton’s law of universal gravitation, quantum mechanics, Newton’s three laws of motion, radioactive decay, the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics, sub-atomic particle laws, the laws governing black holes, quasars & pulsars.
30. Orion has “bands” that hold it together (Job 38:31). Science now knows that Orion is a star system that is steadily expanding outwards. The “gravitational bands” holding the constellation together have indeed been loosed - just as God told Job.
31. Hands and clothes washing (Lev 15:13). Until 1900 AD, many patients in hospitals died from infections due to the fact that doctors wouldn’t wash their hands or clothing after treating infectious patients. The Bible required repeated washings in running water with time allowed for drying and exposure to the sun to kill bacteria.
The Bible not only confirms what is scientifically correct, but avoids all the other nonsense that other religious books have – for example, the ancient Egyptians believed that the world was hatched from a giant cosmic egg that had wings.
Because the Bible avoids scientific nonsense and contains science not known till recently, it must be concluded that the all-knowing Creator God authored the Bible. We can place our complete confidence in the Bible’s truth and reliability on every other issue of life as well.
“The fool hath said in his heart,
There is no God...” (Psalms 14:1)
By Harley Hitchcock