QUESTION: “WHAT DID THE PROPHETS SEE?”
ANSWER: “THEY SAW THE FOLLOWING …
BIRTH OF CHRIST – Isaiah,
2. CALVARY – Isaiah, Daniel, Zechariah
3. THE DESTRUCTION OF JERUSALEM – Daniel
4. THE DESTRUCTION OF ISRAEL’S ENEMIES – Obadiah, Nahum, Jonah
5. THE TIMES OF THE GENTILES – Daniel,
6. THE RETURN OF THE JEWS – Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Amos
7. ANTICHRIST – Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Zechariah
8. (THE) GREAT TRIBULATION – Isaiah, Daniel, Joel
9. REMOVAL OF RUSSIA & ARAB NATIONS - Ezekiel
10. THE POURING OUT OF HOLY SPIRIT – Ezekiel, Joel, Hosea
11. ARMAGEDDON – Isaiah, Ezekiel, Joel, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah
12. THE SECOND ADVENT – Daniel, Zechariah, Malachi
13. THE MILLENNIUM – Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Micah, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah
14. THE MILLENNIAL TEMPLE – Isaiah, Ezekiel, Haggai
15. THE NEW JERUSALEM, NEW HEAVENS & EARTH – Isaiah
His whole life was spent under the threat of Assyria & while seeing Assyria capture the Northern kingdom, his lifetime achievement was keeping Jerusalem out of Assyrian hands. Chapter 36-37 under King Hezekiah, Sennacherib of Assyria is repelled.
Birth of Christ Isaiah 7:14; 9: 6-7; 6:1; 11: 1-3
Calvary Is 50:6; 53:1-12
Return of the Jews Is 11:11-16; Isaiah 60:8-16
Antichrist Isaiah 14:4-20
The great tribulation Isaiah 2:19-21
Armageddon Isaiah 26:20-21; Isaiah 11:4-5; Isaiah 63:1-6
Millennium Isaiah 35:1-10; Isaiah 11:4-
Millennial temple Isaiah 2:2-4
New Jerusalem, new heavens & earth Isaiah 60:18-22:Isaiah 66:22
Isaiah saved Jerusalem from Assyria, but Jeremiah fails to save it from Babylon.
If Judah will repent from wickedness, God will save her. God persistently advises Judah to surrender to Babylon. Judah, Israel, is to be destroyed but it will eventually rule the world. Babylon is to be destroyed and never to rise again.
1. Birth of Christ Jeremiah 31:5
2. Return of the Jews Jeremiah 3:8 Jeremiah 16:14-15 Jeremiah 23:3-8 Jeremiah 31:8
3. Millennium Jeremiah 31:27-34 Jeremiah 33:12-26
597-570 BC Prophet of captivity. Daniel in the palace at Babylon 9 years before Ezekiel arrives. Chapter 1 Cherubim Chapter 2-3 His commission of hardship & persecution Chapter 4-7 Symbolic siege of Jerusalem Chapter 8-11 Vision journey to Jerusalem Chapter 12 Moves house goods Chapter 13 False prophets Ch14 Hypocritical inquirers Chapter 15 Parable of vine tree Ch16 Allegory of unfaithful wife Ch17 Parable of two eagles Ch18 Soul that sins dies Ch19 Fall of David’s throne Ch20 Israel’s idols Ch21 Sword against Jerusalem Ch22 Sins of Jerusalem Ch23 Oholah & Oholibah Ch24 Boiling cauldron Ch25 Other nations Ch26-28 Tyre Ch29-32 Six visions of Egypt Ch34 Shepherds Ch35 Edom’s doom Ch37 Valley of bones Ch38-39 Gog & Magog Ch40-48 Rebuilt temple
1. Return of the Jews Ezekiel 20:40-44 Ezekiel 34:11-28 Ezekiel 36:24-32 Ezekiel 37:1-28
2. Antichrist Ezekiel 28:11-19
3. The pouring out of Holy Spirit Ezekiel 39:29
4. Destruction of Russia & some Arab nations Ezekiel 39:1-19
5. Armageddon Ezekiel 38:1-23
6. Millennium Ezekiel 36:33-38
7. Temple of the Millennium Ezekiel 40:1-48
Daniel had a high office in Babylon & Persia. He is a prophet
Chapter 1 As a youth taken & trained with three others in Babylon Chapter 2 Four world empires predicted Chapter 3 Fiery furnace Chapter 4 Nebuchadnezzar’s madness & recovery Chapter 5 Belshazzar’s feast Chapter 6 Lion’s den Chapter 7 Four beasts Chapter 8 Ram & He-goat Ch9 Seventy weeks Chapter 10 Angels of nations Chapter 11 Two kings of North & South Chapter 12 Time of the end.
1. Calvary Daniel 9:24-27
2. Destruction of Jerusalem Daniel 9:26
3. Times of the Gentiles Daniel 2:31-45
4. Antichrist Daniel 7:19-27 Daniel 9:26-27
5. (The) Great Tribulation Daniel 12:1
6. Second Advent Daniel 7:9-14.
Around 200yrs before Hosea comes on the scene, they have a golden calf as their god.
Chapters 1-3 A harlot wife reflects Israel’s & a faithful God.
Hosea’s children have names that mean the following:
Jezreel= retribution, Loammi=no longer my people, Loruhamah=no more mercy
Chapters 4-13 Idols, desolation, lewd priests murder, adultery
Chapter 14 God heals Israel’s backsliding and takes away their iniquity
Israel’s return to God Hosea 3:45, Hosea 6:1-2
Pouring out of the Holy Spirit Hosea 14:4
Millennium Hosea 14:5-6
830 BC Joel is the 1st of Judah’s 11 prophets. The locust plagues herald the upcoming day of the Lord.
1. (The) great tribulation Joel 2:28-32
2. Pouring out of Holy Spirit Joel 2:28-32
3. Removal Russia & Arab nations in the 1st half of the tribulation Joel 2:20
4. Armageddon Joel 3:1-17
5. Millennium Joel 3:18-21
Chapter 1-2 Doom Chapter 3. Luxury palaces Chapter 4. Time to meet God Chapter 5. Day of God Chapter 6. Captivity Chapter 7. Three visions Chapter 8. Basket of Summer fruit Chapter 9. Future glory.
1. Return of Jews to God Amos 9:11-12
2. Millennium Amos 9:13-15
586 BC The doom of Edom to be ‘cut off forever’ (Obadiah 10) ‘as though they had not been’ (Obadiah 16). Edom were descendants of Esau and had perpetual enmity with Jacob (Gen 25:23). Refused Moses passage Num 20:14-21). Always ready to aid an attacking army. But Judah will prevail (Obadiah 17, 19, 21). After Jerusalem falls in 70AD, they disappear from history.
The destruction of Edom
Jonah was a real figure in history (2Kings 14:25) and lived in the reign of Jeroboam II of the northern kingdom.
Nineveh was Assyria’s capital – the Jew’s greatest enemy 900-606. The book of Jonah is about God’s concern for a pagan nation. Jonah to preach to his hated enemy. Ch1 – flight Ch2 prayer Ch3 repentance Ch4 disappointment.
The destruction of Nineveh
Micah sees the coming fall of Judah & Samaria with the latter with robbing the poor, seizing fields, false prophets & national corruption
1. Birth of Christ Micah 5:2
2. Millennium Micah 4:1-7
630 BC Nineveh
God slow to anger Nahum 1:3 (Jonah 150 years before, saves Nineveh). Zephaniah (Nahum 2:13-15) predicts the fall of Nineveh the bloody city Nahum 3:1.
The destruction of Nineveh
607 BC Complains to God about Judah’s destruction Habakkuk 1:1-3 but then admits their sins. Babylon to be destroyed & Israel to fill the earth Habakkuk 2:12-20
1. Millennium Habakkuk 3:1-19.
Under Josiah the 15th king, there was a temporary revival (see 2 Ki 22)
A. Near invasion by Nebuchadnezzar Zephaniah 1:1-2 B. Judgment on other nations – eg Moab, Ammon, Ethiopia, Philistines C. Filthy moral state of Jerusalem Zephaniah 3:1-7 D. Armageddon Zephaniah 3:8 & the Millennium Zephaniah 3:20
Armageddon Zephaniah 3:8
Millennium Zephaniah 3:20
Temple rebuilding from 520-516 BC. Since the Jews return in 536 BC, nothing done for 15years. Ch1 Foundation laid but no interest & poor crops. Ch2 Future glory of temple.
1. Haggai’s 1st appeal Haggai 1:2 2. Work begins 1:4 3. Haggai’s 2nd appeal Haggai 2:1-9 4. Zechariah 1st speech Haggai 1:1 5. Haggai’s 3rd appeal Haggai 2:12-19, 6. Haggai’s 4th appeal Haggai 2:21-23 6. Zechariah’s visions Haggai 1:7 7. Zechariah’s vision Haggai 7:1
1. Armageddon Haggai 2:6 Haggai 2:20, 22
2. Millennium Haggai 2:7-9.
3. Millennial temple Haggai 2:9
Worked with Haggai for 4 years on temple rebuilding. Ch1 -6 Visions of horses, horns & smiths; measuring line; Joshua the priest; candlestick, two olive trees; flying roll & ephah; four war chariots, coronation Ch7-8 Fasting Ch9-11 Other nations Ch12-14 Future.
1. Calvary Zechariah 9:9, Zechariah 1:12-13
2. Antichrist Zechariah 11:15-17
3. Armageddon Zechariah 14:1-3
4. 2nd Advent Zechariah 12:9-14 Zechariah 14:4-11
5. Millenium Zechariah 8:3-4 Zechariah 14:16-21
Jews have been home for around 300 years - degenerate priests, tithes neglected, inferior sacrifices, intermarrying with others. Messiah will come but it will mean judgment. Ch1 Disdain for temple sacrifices Ch2 Intermarrying Ch3 Day of the Lord, tithes, scepticism Ch4 Coming day of the Lord
2nd Advent Malachi 3:1-3 Malachi 4:1-6